The amazing Canadian photographer - Fred Herzog

I thought I'd share something rare.

The discovery of a genuine new talent in photography. And someone who has been working at full strength since the 1950's in colour.

His name is Fred Herzog and I came across him through my job at Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design via the book Fred Herzog Photographs

From what I've read, he was aware of the work of more established photographers like Robert Frank and Walker Evans, but his relative isolation working primarily in Vancouver, Canada gives his photographs a unique quality all their own - where his influences are kept in check by his strong colour sense and the balance of urban/rural subject matter he encountered.

Here are a few of my own favourites. For more of his work check out the Equinox Gallery website.

Flaneur Granville 1960

Bogners Grocery 1960

Elysium Cleaners 1958

Lucy Georgia 1968

Man with Bandage 1968

U.R. Next 1959
Share on Google Plus

About Nick_L

This is a short description in the author block about the author. You edit it by entering text in the "Biographical Info" field in the user admin panel.

0 comments :