First exhibition of a new photography project entitled 'RED'

Following the publication of my first book "Pedestrian" (http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/768967) in July, I began work on a new book project, using the lessons and experiences I gained from working on the earlier project.

What I wanted to explore in the new book, was the idea that photographs taken in colour, could be put to use to explore photography in a different way.

In other words, what I learned from publishing a book and showing it to friends & colleagues was that my priorities in exploring subject matter were often secondary considerations for those new to the project. And that in looking and talking about the pictures, the use of colour and abstractional elements within many of the pictures were the factors that viewers most responded to, rather than the subject matter and thematic treatment - which were my original concerns.

I admit this was something of an adjustment for me to accept. But in many ways was a necessary reality check and a way of refocusing on the primary considerations of creating a photo/art book. That it should work without explanation and words and function as a fully self contained artifact.

As a photographer with a fine art background, it made sense for me to spend some time on a new project with these important lessons still in mind.
The photographs below are the first public exhibition of this new project - which is titled simply 'RED'.

I'll be posted regular updates from the project in the coming weeks/months.

Other commitments allowing, I hope to publish a book in the new year with the same title.
































Share on Google Plus

About Nick_L

This is a short description in the author block about the author. You edit it by entering text in the "Biographical Info" field in the user admin panel.

0 comments :