Paul Caponigro and London landscapes

In the late 1980's I attended several residential photography workshops at Duckspool in Somerset, run by the late Peter Goldfield. I wanted a chance to exchange ideas with other like-minded independent photographers, but also (mainly) to meet and talk with established photographers and hopefully learn something from the experience.
 
My first experience was unusual. I'd booked a place on a Raymond Moore workshop, but sadly he'd passed away days before the workshop was to begin.
What started out as a relatively straightforward outing turned into a very unusual event as the weekend turned into an impromptu celebration to Ray's work & life.
 
Among those figures from the UK photographic community to turn up at Duckspool during that weekend were: Mark Hayworth-Booth, curator from the Victoria & Albert Museum, Martin Parr, now a Magnum photographer but then a newly emerging colour photographer with his 'Last Resort' book and Jem Southam, a colour photographer from the South West of England.
Also present, and the special workshop guest, was Paul Caponigro, the renowned american landscape photographer. Paul was a quiet (but commanding) presence during the weekend and a lot of what he had to say, made an immediate and lasting impression on me.
The photograph of Paul (below) was taken during an outdoor session, when among other things he passed on his knowledge of the Zone system.



When I got back to London, where I was living at the time, I started looking at ways to combine my interest in the man-made landscape with some of the ideas that Paul had talked about, including quality of execution and simplicity of approach.
I took a lot of photographs in the Totteridge/Whetstone area of London, including colour images.
The 2 images below are a sample of the work I completed during that period.


Share on Google Plus

About Nick_L

This is a short description in the author block about the author. You edit it by entering text in the "Biographical Info" field in the user admin panel.

3 comments :

Payperbiz said...

Wow! You do well with black and white:) Do you have a penchant for kids? I do baby pictorials being a baby photographer in Minneapolis but I produce colored pix.

guillermo aldaya said...

Thanks for the pictures, Nick! Best regards fron Brazil.

Robin Hill said...

Hi Nick

Great photos - have sent you an email via absolutearts.com. Would be good to get in touch


Robin