Photographs - October 07 to date

Many of the recent photographs appearing on this site were directly inspired by the experiences I've had since beginning the 5 minutes project at the start of the year.

For that project I use a small cheap digital camera to take photographs on the move for 5 minutes between an underground station (at street level) and the entrance to the building where I work for most of the week.

As a commuter myself, I was anxious to reclaim some of the 'dead time' spent commuting and travelling and explore how I could make use creatively of the time spent travelling to work.
The photographs shown here were taken, on the move (on foot) with a modest 2 mega pixel digital camera on the way into work and on the way home along the same route. The people and environments shown are as they were encountered during the journey.

What has happened as a by product of working in this way, is that the photographs I've created with this camera, have become more abstract and experimental in look and texture than I originally anticipated. Working with an automatic camera, unlike the manual cameras I usually use, I have little (or no) control over lens settings or light readings. So technically I'm having to relinquish much of the control I'm used to having over the picture taking process.
However the rather more abstract pictures that are produced as a result contain unexpected and exciting mixtures of shape, texture and colour that I couldn't have foreseen working in a more conventional way.

As you can see from many of the pictures I've chosen to post( a fraction of what I've actually taken!) the use of colour has become, to my surprise a dominant feature of these pictures. Colour which has become a more dominant feature than the content itself in many of them.

I'm still not sure which direction my work will take me in 2008. These pictures may become a short lived experiment or maybe kick-start something new.....
Only time will tell.

Whatever the result, I'll share them here with you.

Until the next post. best wishes and happy xmas.

Nick
Share on Google Plus

About Nick_L

This is a short description in the author block about the author. You edit it by entering text in the "Biographical Info" field in the user admin panel.

0 comments :